This privacy notice applies to personal information collected on the Making Tax Simpler consultation website.
The site can be viewed and some feedback provided without needing to disclose any personal information.
To post comments in this online consultation, you will be required to provide a username and an email address. This enables you to submit comments on the Making Tax Simpler consultation topics and to also comment on those topics through discussions with other users of the forum.
How we collect, store and use your personal information
When you comment on this website, personal information will be collected from you. This information is collected for two purposes:
- for the management of your account with us; and
- for determining the usage of this website.
Please note that if you choose to use your real name as your username you are volunteering to make your name and any personal information in the comments you make public. You do not have to use your own name as your username if you do not want to, in which case you and your comments will not be publicly identifiable on the website. We recommend that either way, you do not include personal or sensitive information in your comments. Your contributions to the Making Tax Simpler online consultations will of course still be identifiable by Inland Revenue, and we may collate and analyse your comments (including those withheld or removed from the website) for the purpose of helping the government develop better policy.
When you post a comment, we will:
- store your information securely;
- only use your contact information to communicate with you in the way indicated; and
- store the information only for as long as is required to complete the task or as otherwise required by law. Contributions may constitute public records and be retained to the extent required by the Public Records Act 2005.
The personal information you provide may be viewed by site administrators, certain Inland Revenue staff and contractors including third parties who provide administration or improvement services to the website. Personal information that you provide will be held by Inland Revenue as above, but may be shared with, and held by, third party contractors to the extent necessary for those parties to provide administration and/or improvement services in relation to the website.
This information will not be used, or disclosed to any other person in a form that will identify you, for any reason other than those set out above except in the following circumstances:
- Where you consent to such use or disclosure, or
- Where such use or disclosure is required or permitted by the Privacy Act 1993, the Official Information Act 1982 or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
Access to your information
You have the right to:
- find out from us whether we hold personal information about you
- access that information; and, if applicable
- request corrections to that information
(unless we have a good reason for refusing your request in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993).
If you want to check personal information that we hold about you, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
PO Box 2198
For information on the privacy laws in New Zealand, please visit the Privacy Commissioner's website.
We may collect statistical information about your visit to help us improve the Site. This information is aggregated and non-personally identifying. It includes:
- your IP address;
- the search terms you used;
- the pages you accessed on our Site and the links you clicked on;
- the date and time you visited the site;
- the referring site or media (if any) through which you clicked through to this Site;
- the device you used to access the site;
- your operating system (e.g., Windows XP, Mac OSX);
- the type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox); and
- the incidental matters such as screen resolution, the release of your installed Flash version and the language setting of your browser.
The statistical information referred to above will be viewable by some Inland Revenue staff.
Browser or ‘web’ cookies are small text files that are sent by a website and stored on your computer's hard drive. Cookies are generally used to improve your experience of a website (e.g., by remembering preferences you’ve set) and to track site usage.
You can read Google’s privacy statement, and access a Google Analytics opt-out tool, at the Google Privacy Center.
You can manually disable cookies at any time - check your browser's 'Help' to find out how (disabling cookies will not affect your ability to use this website).